NAHL: Michigan Warriors


Warriors Weekend Review: Warriors Salvage A Point In Home And Home With Port Huron

on Dec 17, 2012

FLINT, MI - The Michigan Warriors headed into play this weekend with a season long, three game winning streak. This weekend they had a home-and-home date with the Port Huron Fighting Falcons. The Warriors were coming off of a 3-0 win against Port Huron on December 8th. Friday nights match-up was at the home of the Falcons, McMorran Arena.

The Warriors started Trevor Gorsuch in net. He was up against the Falcons starting netminder, Max Milosek. Milosek lead all goaltenders in the North division in wins coming into Friday's match-up, with 13. Port Huron was determined to make it 14 in the first. They lit the lamp three times. Bryan Yim got the scoring started for Port Huron after a Warrior defensman fell down in front of his net. Yim beat Trevor Gorsuch on the glove side at 8:40. Kody Polin then scored at 10:46 off another Warrior turnover in their own end. Matthew Uvodich then gave the Falcons a 3-0 at 18:46. It was 3-0 Port Huron after one period. They outshot the Warriors, 18-10.

The Warriors turned things around in the second. Jon Farkas lit the lamp on his 4th goal of the season after a point-blank chance for Corey Schueneman hit the goal post. Martin Gruse scored his 3rd goal in as many games at 13:51 of the 2nd. Gruse's goal was unassited. The Warriors were out shot 13-6 in the second period.

In the third, the Warriors were unable to get any closer. It looked like they had something going until the Warriors took two late penalties. That sealed the win for Port Huron. The Warriors 3 game winning streak was ended. Trevor Gorsuch made 35 saves in the losing effort.

The next night, the Falcons to the trip west on I-69 to take on the Warriors at Perani Arena. The Warriors had picked up at least one point in seven straight games after dropping their first eight at home to start the season.

The Warriors drew first blood late in the first period on Darren McCormick's sixth goal of the season. The goal was scored on a 2-on-1 rush lead by Shawn Badali. He found McCormick on the wide side of the ice and he beat Alex Blankenburg at 18:33. The Warriors lead 1-0 after one. Port Huron out shot the Warriors, 10-7.

In the second, Port Huron scored two goals to take the lead. Bryan Yim scored at 6:01 to tie the game and Matthew Uvodich scored at 8:43 to give Port Huron the lead, 2-1. The Warriors would tie on the power play when Corey Schueneman took a shot from the slot that was deflected by Connor Lyons. His 8th of the season made it 2-2 at 18:08. Port Huron would regain the lead at 19:03 on the power play after Vito Aluia tipped a Ryan Nick point shot past Warriors netminder Dillon Kelley. It was 3-2 Port Huron after two. The Warriors out shot Port Huron 16-8 in the second.

The Warriors would tie the game early in the third on a goal by T.J Stuntz. His 2nd of the season came on a 2-on-1. Stuntz decided to shoot it, and found a hole in the pads of the Port Huron goaltender, Alex Blankenburg. The play that ensued was back and forth action with Port Huron on their heels for the better part of the third period. The Warriors were unable to strike though, and the game was headed for overtime.

In overtime, the teams played a scoreless five minutes. Shots were 3-3.

In the shootout, the Warriors got a goal from Zack Szajner on their first shot, but would get nothing else past Alex Blankenburg. Port Huron got goals in the shootout from Easton Powers and Vito Aluia to win the shootout, 2-1 and the hockey game, 4-3. The Warriors contined their streak of games at home without a loss to eight, despite the shootout loss. They are now three points behind seventh-placed, Springfield in the North division.

The Warriors travel to Sault Ste. Marie this weekend for games on Friday, the 21st and Saturday, the 22nd. You can hear the games live on Supertalk 1570AM in the Genesee County area or on the world wide web at Joey Battaino has the call on both nights at 7:30 EST.